Facts and Figures
(Client Services Data from July 1, 2010 to June 1, 2011)
*Women and children sheltered 243
*Crisis line calls answered 15,495
*In-person services provided 16,899
*Clinical counseling for adults and children 252
In addition STAND! experienced the following:
*27% increase in temporary restraining order (TRO) assistance
*25% increase in clients seeking services through our community based Liaisons
*95% increase in clients receiving vocational services
Direct experience and many academic studies agree that the nexus of intimate partner violence and child abuse is undeniable. Especially troubling is the fact that children who are abused are twice as likely to be abused or perpetrate abuse as adults. This finding makes the direct link between child abuse and domestic violence obvious: it is a cycle of violence that leads from one generation to the next. It is clear that if we are to stop domestic violence, we must end child abuse.
A devastating impact of violence in the home is that it spills over into our schools, neighborhoods and workplaces. Solving the problem of domestic violence and children growing up in violent homes is critical to solving greater social issues of violence in our community.
Recent news stories in Contra Costa County
• A 4 year-old boy had a brain injury and was paralyzed by his mother’s boyfriend in Antioch
• Elizabeth Reyes was beaten to death by the father of her children in Oakley
• A 10 year-old girl was stabbed in the chest by her mother in Concord
• David Portillo was killed by his girlfriend’s estranged husband in Antioch
• A 10 month-old girl was severely injured when violently shaken by her mother in Antioch
• Linda and Robert Ellingson were experiencing marital and financial difficulties until he woke up in the middle of the night and shot her before turning the gun on himself in Antioch
Each year, the National Network to End Domestic Violence takes a 24 hour snapshot of domestic violence services in the United States: DV Counts. The report provides a glimpse of collective work of DV agencies across the country. Read the 2012 report.
• A report of child abuse is made every 10 seconds.
• 90% of child sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way; 68% are abused by family members.
• About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle.
• Almost 5 children die every day as a result of child abuse. More than 3 out of 4 are under the age of 4. (Source: www.childhelp.org)
• One in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime. (Source: NCADV Public Policy Office, www.ncadv.org)
• 85% of domestic violence victims are women (Source: NCADV Public Policy Office, www.ncadv.org)
• Domestic violence is more than 3 times as likely to occur when couples are experiencing high levels of financial strain as when they are experiencing low levels of financial strain.
• 73% of shelters attributed the rise in abuse to “financial issues”. “Stress” and “job loss” (61% and 49% respectively) were also frequently cited as causing the increase in victims seeking shelter. (Source: The National Network to End Domestic Violence, www.nnedv.org)
• One in three adolescents reports knowing a peer who has been part of a physically abusive relationship. (Davis, Antoinette, MPH. 2008. Interpersonal and Physical Dating Violence among Teens. The National Council on Crime and Delinquency Focus.)
• 30% of adolescent girls (15 to 19) who are murdered every year in the USA die by the hands of an abusive partner. (City of New York, Teen Relationship Abuse Fact Sheet, March 1998.)
• Studies have found that women and girls are more likely to be victims of teen dating violence than men and boys and that they suffer significantly more injuries than males. (Rand, Michael. 2008. Criminal Victimization, 2007. U.S. Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics.) (Baum, Katrina, Catalano, Shannan, Rand, Michael and Rose, Kristina. 2009. Stalking Victimization in the United States. U.S. Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics.)